Since restrictive measures could not be applied to family members of mobile EU citizens, the UK began to denounce the Citizenship Directive as a «loophole» which also allows undesirable non-EU nationals to circumvent immigration legislation. Together with other Member States, the British authorities have constantly tried to convince EU institutions to limit family reunification rights. After Brexit, the British government finally succeeded. Section 17 of the 2018 Act obliges the government to negotiate an agreement with the EU. Such an agreement would facilitate the family reunification of unaccompanied children who have applied for asylum in the EU and who have a parent in the UK (or vice versa). You will find a debate on direct members of my family in my contribution Family Assembly Rights for EU citizens and British citizens under the UK`s EU Withdrawal Agreement: Direct Family Members. After 31 December 2020, the situation may change depending on what the UK and the EU agree and whether you are covered by the withdrawal agreement. For more information on facilitation visas, visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Netherlands and yourself. Travel information to join a family member from the EU, EEA or Switzerland also applies to British nationals in the Netherlands who are covered by the withdrawal agreement. Family members do not need a residence document or residence permit to live and work in the Netherlands. You do not have to report to the IND. The withdrawal agreement generally guarantees citizens and their family members the same rights as they do today: they can continue to live, study, work and travel freely between the UK and the EU. Family members (of any nationality) who are not direct members of the family (see above) and who, in the country of origin from which they originate, (i) are dependants or members of the household of EU citizens (in the UK) or British citizens (in an EU Member State) who have the right of primary residence; or (ii) if serious health reasons require personal assistance from EU (UK) or uk National (in an EU Member State) – the partner (unmarried) with whom the EU citizen (uk) or british national (in an EU Member State) has a long-term relationship duly certified after their arrival in the Netherlands, an online application for a residence document for himself and for your family members.

In this case, you don`t have to wait for an invitation letter from the IND. Once the IND has received a request from you and your family members, your family members can make an appointment to have a sticker on their passport by calling the Brexit line. This is proof that your family member has applied. Once your family members have this tag on your passport, you can register for the BRP. Apply for a temporary residence permit for your family member, clause 37 of EU law (withdrawal agreement). This can affect family reunion for unaccompanied children seeking asylum in the EU and the UK after Brexit. This view explains Clause 37. «In accordance with Article 17 of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018, The government is obliged to negotiate a mutual agreement with the EU that allows unaccompanied asylum seekers in the EU to join parents – parents, brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles and grandparents – who legally apply for asylum in the UK or who are waiting where it is in the best interests of the child , and vice versa. This obligation applies whether we leave the EU with or without an agreement. The choices each country has made for its residence system and the time frames for UK nationals and their family members residing in countries with a constituent scheme must apply for a new resident status are included in the file below, as well as the main national websites.